Navis Asia Navigator Fund
Navis’ original public equity fund, Navigator, was launched with a philosophy of “a private equity approach to investing in public equity”, building on Navis’ firm wide beliefs. Navigator has a value orientation – it seeks companies whose earnings, growth or dividend characteristics are not fully valued by the market and often not widely covered by analysts. The Navigator portfolio is therefore conservative, with beta well below 1x.
The investment approach is based on extensive bottom-up fundamental research on sectors, companies and their competitive environment, management depth and trustworthiness. Navigator’s research process is intensive and hands-on. The Fund only invests in businesses where the investment team has met and is comfortable with the management. Investment Committee deliberation is structured to be comprehensive, frequent and iterative.
The portfolio is not benchmarked against any single index because no single index covers Navigator’s geography. Our internal benchmark is a mix of Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and India. The Fund targets roughly 15 investment positions (including cash) at any given time. Country weightings may vary for we continually seek diversification in terms of region, industry and currency.
- Is the industry analyzable by us?
- Are industry fundamentals attractive? Is the business attractively priced at current valuations?
- Is liquidity acceptable?
- Are the levers of value creation in the hands of management?
- Is the company a leader or near leader in its respective market?
- Does it have a sustainable competitive advantage?
- Are the managers/owners competent and trustworthy?
- Is the capital structure appropriate for the business?
- What are the internally and externally-driven risks as assessed by Navigator?
- Are these acceptable? Can they be mitigated?
Since inception, the Navigator Fund has increased by 307%, outperforming the MSCI Asia ex-Japan index which increased by 130% over the same period (as of 31 March 2018).
Fund Structure and Terms
- The Navis Asia Navigator Fund consists of a Cayman Islands domiciled, Master/Feeder structure with separate feeder funds for US and non-US Investors
- Manager’s commissions are subjected to benchmarks achieved and a minimum performance trigger
- The fund is open ended with monthly net asset valuations and subscriptions
- Redemptions are quarterly and subjected to a 60 days’ notice, with prudential limitations
- There are no entry or exit fees
OTHER PUBLIC EQUITY FUNDS
Navis Al-Bahhar Fund
The following portfolio approaches investments within Islamic investment principles
Navis Jockey Fund
The following portfolio is a listed equity approach to private equity
Navis Yield Fund
The following portfolio approaches companies with a steady growth curve, with capital appreciation upside