Amazon Papyrus Chemical Group is a Hong Kong-based leading chemical solutions provider, servicing the major paper and pulp mills across Asia. Founded in 2000, the company supplies tailor-made chemical product formulations, together with onsite technical support and services to generate a return on investment to its customers. It has leading market share in the two largest Asian paper production countries, China and Indonesia, and is a top 3 player elsewhere in Southeast Asia and India.
- Strong Asia paper and pulp demand growth driven by rapid emerging market urbanization and GDP growth
- Active consolidation of paper and pulp supply base, driven by more stringent government environmental policies, has expanded Amazon’s core addressable market of premium process chemicals
- Sticky client relationships due to high switching cost, thus recurring revenue stream
- High barriers to entry given leadership position, strong technical know-how, reliable tailored services and scale benefits
- Modernised overall branding as well as built up internal marketing team to implement revamped brand marketing strategy;
- Expanded product range through R&D and strategic partnerships
- Supported recruitment of key management hires to reduce dependence on CEO as well as a path for succession planning
- Integrated a bolt-on acquisition in Thailand, strengthening the positioning of the enlarged business
- Strengthened governance culture, centred on newly developed compliance policies, training and on-site monitoring
Amazon Papyrus is actively launching new products in its core Pulp & Paper sector as well as in adjacent sectors, such as Fuel Tech as well as Odour Control. The management team is also acting on a strategic imperative to build a presence in new emerging markets, such as Laos, and are already gaining traction with several key accounts in these geographies.